Pages

Saturday 31 May 2014

Paramount Coffee Project, Surry Hills

Most peoples dilemma in the morning before heading out is "What do I wear today?"
For me, it's "Where do I eat today?" 
As I lay in bed going through my list of  'cafes to visit'  I whined to my missus, 
  • Should I just go somewhere close by yet again?
  • Shall I go further out? 
  • It's almost 10am and most places will be packed already!
  • Shall I just decide based on suburb and then wing it? 
  • Shall I go savory or sweet today? This will help me choose which cafe to go to!
She replied, "Just pick one!"
So, after moaning and groaning over one of "life's tough choices", we made our way to Paramount Coffee Studio.
Outdoor area that comfortably seats 14ppl and  lotsa dogs
After giving the waitress my name and being told that the wait might take about 30 minutes we decided to order coffees first and check the place out. The interior has a nice classy industrial-like feel about it. Polished concrete floors and loads of natural light. 


hipster looking bikes.
TokyoBike takes up the back portion of the restaurant. Can't say much here as I don't even own a bike except that they looked really cool! I probably wouldn't be able to pull it off but it certainly looked like hipsters bicycle heaven. From what I've read, the emphasis is more on comfort(and style) and less on speed.
Almond&macadamia milk latte and a piccolo for me
The wait for a table only  took 10 minutes and soon enough we sat ourselves outside. No problems as the weather was lovely. I really liked my piccolo as it was well-balanced. I can't say much about the latte though. The almond and macadamia milk drowned out any hint of coffee and left you with a strong milky/nutty aftertaste with each sip. Not a big fan. :-\ This however turned out to blessing in disguise as the missus ended up ordering an awesome backup drink!
Caramel Popcorn milkshake THE BOMB!
If you're thinking of visiting this place, and you already have your drinks ordered, please make sure you get this milkshake. I don't care! it's worth it! Just like the caramel from West Juliett, this was another one of those items that blew our minds! It wasn't overly sweet but frothy, creamy and packed full of flavour. It stayed true till the last sip and unlike most other shakes which tends to turn into a sloppy mess of bubbles once you get to the bottom, this one somehow stayed thick! I couldn't stop stealing sips from the missus. :P
Crab Po Boy. Claw is waving hello..or was it help...?
 It didn't take long before the first dish arrived. Soft-shelled crab, coleslaw inside of a milk bun. I don't know what in the world a milk bun is but it was sweet. The batter for the crab was nice and crunchy without being too oily. The savoury taste balanced well with every other ingredient and with that being key, it was a damn good burger.
Popcorn prawn salad.
Next up was my dish. The popcorn prawns. Mmmmm. where do I start. Imagine a fresh bed of baby leaves salad with a nice light dressing. Now throw in KFC-styled popcorn chicken, only replace it with prawns and voila! You have a 'somewhat' healthy dish. It's not the heaviest of meals but perfect as a filler. I could have eaten this AND the crab po boy. I'd highly recommend this dish. 



 I ordered a side of onion rings and whilst it was nicely battered and crunchy, it wasn't that much to shout about and hence, it gets a little picture instead.




 


The missus and I both share the same trait of leaving the best for the last bite so I had a popcorn prawn and she had this little crab claw to end our brekkie.







Paramount Coffee Project is definitely on the cards as a place to visit again. Dave, the 'outside waiter' always had a smile on his face and was forever polite. He gave recommendations and was a pleasure to deal with. The same goes to the gal who took our names when we arrived and the same goes to the cashier. The setting is stylish, the food is definitely up there and if I had to compare it to any other cafe, it would definitely be Three Williams...... both of which I hold very highly in my books. 



The Paramount Coffee Project on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment