Pages

Monday 26 May 2014

Stuzzichino, Melbourne - Nov 2013


Over the weekend, Wenni and I went down to Melbourne for a wedding.
We decided to fly over after work on Friday to make the most of Saturday exploring what the city had to offer. So being true to the title of this blog, the first thing we did was to head out for a search of what Melbourne had to offer in terms of coffee.
We headed North towards Lygon Street which reminded me of Leichardt due to the number of Italian restaurants. (We came back to Lygon St later that same night for Italian for dinner. YUM!)

At about 8:30am, it was still pretty dead so trying to judge cafes by the number of patrons proved difficult. Our only gauge was just to try and let ourselves be enticed by the menu....... or a cheeky manager.   


Whilst reading the chalkboard menu outside Stuzzichino, we didn't notice a guy sitting by the window who mentioned to us with a wink "One of the best cafes on the street! Can't go wrong." Later we realized he was the manager.
That, combined with a menu that claimed to have "Best breakfast on the strip", we decided... "Why not."


Now whenever I'm at a new cafe, I'd always order the Eggs Benedict with salmon ($15.50) as a gauge. The eggs were poached perfectly, the salmon was nice and fresh,
The muffin was moist and still had a little bit of crisp to it but sadly, I was dissappointed to find that the hollandaise sauce was overbeaten
and a bit too salty for my liking. It almost had the texture of yogurt. Overall, I still enjoyed my meal. 



Wenni on the other hand went for the Italian Toast ($16.50). This dish was surprisingly delicious! It was basically 2 slices of egg battered toast served with
a few strips of bacon, a grilled banana, drizled with maple syrup and a sprinkle of icing sugar. The next time I'm out and about, I'm gonna give this dish
a try.   


Finally, the coffee. Stuzzichino's Barista does a damn good job of making a cuppa.  I had a quick chat with him to pass on my compliments and was informed that they use Circi beans.....not one that I was familiar with. If I had to compare it with Campos, I would say that Circi would be the older sister. 


Unlike the strong creamy flavour of her brother, Circi's beans are milder in taste, almost delicate-like but still have enough of a kick behind it to remind you that she's no pushover. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely keep a lookout for it in Sydney!



 



Stuzzichino
169 Lygon St, Carlton
Opening hours : Early morning till late night
Website : link / Google Map

Stuzzichino Caffe Bar Spuntini on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment