Pages

Sunday 1 June 2014

Brewtown, Newtown

Over a month ago, I tried, going to Brewtown but the crowd outside were just crazy. Under usual circumstances, I would have waited but as I was starving, I could wait no longer and decided to visit another nearby cafe. It wasn't that memorable so I shan't blog about it.
This time round, I had no further plans for the day so didn't mind the short wait outside.

Situated on O'Connell St, Brewtown is located on the Northern part of Newtown where everything happens. I've lived in this suburb for over 10yrs and I'm still not sick of it. There's always something new to see, cafes to visit, people to watch, etc.

If I had to gripe, it's slowly losing it's 'feel' as more and more commercialized shops start to may their way in *coughfroyocough*, pushing out the quaint little 2nd hand op shops that just can't keep up with the crazy rent....anyway I digress.

Look for the street between Guzman Gomez and T2, you should immediately see a crowd of people standing around. To confirm that you're at the right place, look up towards the left and you should see this signboard. No it's not reversed. I was just standing on the other side of it. :P



 Brewtown took over one of my favourite bookshops, Berkelouw Books. At first, I wasn't too happy it was going but what can you do...life moves on, and just like that, Brewtown was born. I'm glad to see that it's kept the whole industrial feel of it, making it a tad bit more nostalgic.
From where we sat at the bar, we could see the steampunk coffee machines bubbling away like some sort of evil scientists lab. Did I order it? no. I am not enough of a coffee connoisseur to be able to appreciate it .. maybe in time.

 Soon enough, we were served by one of the most polite, eloquent waiters of all. Maceo. The coffees got ordered first followed by our meals. I like how underneath each cup, there was a 'sexy gnome' on the saucer looking back at you. then as you drink your coffee down, the word Brewtown appears on the inside rim. Little things I know, but hey that's what life is about! I WISH I could show it to you but silly me deleted the photos from my phone before sending it to my email address.

Anyway we sat and waited, then chatted some more, then waited, then admired the underside of the high roofs, then waited some more. Turns out, there was a mix up with our orders and it didn't get processed! #&*$(@#&$#

Maceo was very apologetic and promised to 'fix us up' after our meals. So after what felt like forever, the food finally arrived. Wheeeee~!

Grilled black sausage home made hash browns, canadian bacon and house relish with boiled eggs
I was starving when my plate arrived first but of course there was always time to take a picture!  The bacon was not overly fatty , the black sausage was packed full of flavour and the hash browns were a delight to eat. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. If I could comment, this dish would be so much better if there was just 1 more hash brown to balance out with the other items(Not to mention the missus who kept eyeing it off and wanting more of it).  I was also very impressed by the egg, perfectly boiled and smooth I had to take another photo!
That's one sexy egg
 The missus decided to take the healthy road today and ordered herself a meatless dish. As light as it looks, it filled her up. I had some of the polenta and found it to be quite tasty. It went well with my black sausage. :)
Baked polenta with mushrooms, grilled asparagus, poached egg & parmesan
Throughout our meal, Maceo kept asking if everything was all right and that if we were ok. Gotta love his attentiveness! He followed through with his earlier promise and after clearing our table space, Maceo brought out 2 cronuts. The regular  glazed one and a raspberry filled one. 
Glazed cronut in the front, Raspberry at the back
For those who are unaware, a Cronut is like a croissant/donut that has been  deep-fried. Now coat it in sugar (krispy Kreme style) and you have a cronut! Yes......calories galore. It definitely was delicious and a MUST to try if you've never had one before but as to regularly eating it, I might pass on that.  I wanna make my belly jolly, not jiggly.

Make it to Brewtown if you can as it's definitely worth a visit. Heck, spend the whole day in this suburb whilst you're at it.
There were so many other stuff on the menu I wish I could have ordered but that's ok. I'll come back another time.


Brewtown Newtown
add : 8 O'Connell Street, Newtown
opening hours :
Monday 10am-4pm
Tuesday - Thursday 12pm-4pm
Friday - Sunday 10am-4pm
map /website

Brewtown Newtown on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment