Pages

Monday 26 May 2014

The Wolf & Honeybee, Newtown - March 2014

Picture this. You have an appointment in 1 1/2 hrs time. You have nothing to eat at home. There's not really enough time to drive out, look for a cafe, possibly queue up, wait for your food and maybe deal with traffic on your way home. 

What.Would.You.Do.

I took this as an opportunity to pull my finger out and try the cafes that are literally just around the corner. 

It's funny how whenever someone askes me where I went over the weekend, I would tell them of places far and away and of the dishes I had and what thoughts were about it. I've never spoken about the the places that are close to home, nor have I ever given it a chance.

With that, my missus and I decided to walk out to the Wolf and the Honeybee.


This place has been here for since 2011 and as small as this cafe is, it certainly makes up for it in quality. You can't go wrong with Campos coffee. The tea supplied here is from Teacraft. And the bread...my god. where do I start, the bread's REALLY GOOD! Ordered in daily from Brasserie Bread.

We seated ourselves outside of their shop and ordered our coffees immediately whilst looking through the menu. 

Happy with the presentation and taste. No problems with it whatsoever.

Now, I don't know why but I must have unconciously felt like eating healthy for a change so I opted for the vegetarian smashed egg roll.

I can't tell you exactly which bread they used but boy was it tasty!! I'm usually not a fan of Sourdough but this was refreshingly crunchy (not the "rip the top of your mouth up kind) and soft on the inside. In between 2 slices of awesomeness was scrambled free range eggs, grilled haloumi, tomato and homemade capsicum relish. 

I'm pretty sure Wenni was sick of hearing me say "This is really good!" by the end of the meal.
This was evident in the fact that I didn't pay attention to her ham and cheese croissant nor did I take a photo of it. :D

When paying the bill (cash only premises), I asked the cashier how did the name come about. He explained that the owner's surname (Conal) in Gaelic means Wolf, and then he mumbled something about the ex-girlfriend being the honeybee... or something like that. I didn't question him further. :)

If you want to stay away from the hustle and bustle of Newtown but still be within walking distance, visit this place! 

The menu may be limited but the quality is certainly there.



The Wolf and the Honeybee
Address : 206, Edgeware Rd, Newtown
Opening hours : Daily 8am - 3pm
map / facebook
The Wolf and Honeybee on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment