Pages

Monday 26 May 2014

Molly Coddle Cafe, Newtown - Feb 2014

I'm not a fan of waking up early in the morning especially on weekends.
When I say early, I mean 7am.
8-9am is fine, but not before that.
A friend at work has been relentless at hounding me each Friday to join him for the Sydney Park run; a 5km run around Sydney Park at St Peters. For about 4wks, I've used most of my good excuses but I finally caved in and decided to give it ago.
I finished the run with a decent time, bade my friends farewell and walked home.

Knowing that Hubes was home alone and that my missus had another engagement, I texted Hubes and asked him out for cuppa. After a nice cold shower and a change of clothes, we both walked out of our respective homes.

The Southern end of King Street has had a big boost in the number of cafe popping up. Some places have been hit and miss and so far, none have been consistent with either their service or food or a combination of both. This time round we decided to try out Molly Coddle Cafe.


Molly Coddle cafe took over the spot of Zagaris(which closed down last yr), which took over the spot of Blue Vein cafe. Hmmm... bad feng shui??? Oh well, let's see how long this place lasts! Ambiance wise, I like it.  The outside tables were well shaded by the hot sun, there was a nice cool breeze and we had a view of King St to people watch.

Hubes ordered his usual Cappucino and I had flat white. Not really sure what type of coffee art they were going for but have a look for yourself what you think. The coffees pretty good! I didn't check out what beans they used but it was nice.

After much deliberation we finally decided on what we wanted to try out so here they are.





Corn,zuchinni, coriander fritters served with bacon and homemade chutney. $15.50.





I must say, the helpings at this place are pretty large. The chutney was really good but the Fritters were a little too doughy for my liking. I struggled to finish my meal. If I had to score it, I'd give it a 6/10. Good if you're after a nice big meal that is just OK in taste.




Molly's Signature - Senoritas.
Poached egg on Sourdough with chicken chipolatas, ricotta, chorizo and heirloom tomatoes. $15
(note - the eggs are on the top left side of the photo. I should have asked hubes to cut it open so you could see the runny egg in all it's galore)



Watching Hubes eat his meal, he must have enjoyed it. I forgot to ask him how it was but it certainly looked tastier than mine. From what I can see the eggs were poached well and the yolk was nice and runny. it didn't look too oily so would have been a good balanced meal. Once again, the helpings were LARGE!

If you're ever in the South end of Newtown, do check this place out. I've got nothing really bad to say about this place. : )


Molly Coddle Cafe
address : 622 King Street, Newtown

Molly Coddle Cafe on Urbanspoon

3 comments: