Pages

Sunday 15 June 2014

Trio, Bondi

When WN mentioned that one of her friends has now moved to Bondi and wants to catch up, I said "Tell her we'll pick her up! We can now try out Trio!" 
(living in the Inner West with way too many "wishlist" cafes left unvisited, we never really had a good enough reason to venture further out.  So off we went, the three of us to Trio.


If I sat outside, I would have been there all day too... good view of the beach from there.
We're used to waiting for tables now so when the waitresses said that it would be about 30-45 minutes, it didn't faze us. I told WN to take a walk on the beach with her friend as it was such a beautiful day whilst I dutifully waited. This is where I truly appreciate the invention of the Smartphone. First 10 minutes spent on facebook and next 10 on Instagram liking and commenting on awesome food pics.  Not long after, a table was cleared and we found ourselves seated.
I beg to differ :)



Looking around the cafe, I noticed a poster on the wall which made me chuckle to myself. This is one of the problems I personally face on weekends! If you read one of my earlier blogs, you'll know why. :)





Smart marketing strategy





If you can't bring the diners to the products on sale, bring the products on sale to your diners! I thought this was smart.

I really like Shakshouka and it's always my go-to dish on cold winter mornings.  The yarn and the paper tag used to tie it up also helped to give it a very homely look.

Alas, I prefer eating out so no... I didn't buy one. I'd be curious to hear from those who did and how it turned out.









minty water, chocolate milkshake and a skim flatwhite
Trio takes their coffee seriously. I mean besides the menu, they also had a full page printout  of the types of coffee beans that were used, how it was roasted (including number of days), the type of grinder,filter and even soy milk (for the lactose intolerant)! I don't know if it was psychological but it was a really good cuppa coffee! I was tempted to have another but held back because of another catchup later in the day.

Our wait for food took a lot longer than expected but as we were too busy chatting, it didn't bother us at all. The attentive staff especially an American by the name of Sue came to apologize for the inconvenience and said that all our drinks were on the house. SCORE!!!!!


Tagliatelle with king prawns
First up was WN's dish. She went for something savoury. Firstly, those king prawns were huge and made the above photo look more like a kids meal than a main. Packed full of flavour, WN had no complaints at all. I had to taste it for myself and agreed with her. 
Cinnamon & vanilla brioche french toast
The friend decided to go for something sweet and ordered the French toast. Each slice was pretty large and the serving of the raspberry and apple compote was pretty generous too.


Clockwise : Green shakshouka, corn fritter, bircher muesli, french toast, some mango yogurt shot, pancake, turkish bread and hummus.
And finally, my dish which took up 1/3 of the table! The Trio Breakfast Tasting plate.
If you can't decide on what to order due to having way too many choices, then just order this.
I've never had green shakshouka before but I must say that I'm a fan.

Made with 1 poached in a ragout of green tomatoes, green capsicum, spinach and chilli, it was really very well balanced in flavour. So far, this has been the only place I've seen which serves Green shakshouka. (If any you know of where else serves it, do let me know!  ) 
Every other dish of the plate is fairly self-explanatory and I can confidently say that there's not a single serving there that wasn't to my liking. I should have taken the 'after' photo as proof! 

Trio is opened for breakfast lunch and dinner. I was very impressed with the meals we had, even more so after experiencing the thoughtful gestures from the wait staff, and I'm really curious now to see how their dinner menus are like....
Well, there's only one way to find out! :)

Trio, Bondi Beach
opening hours : 7:30-3:30 (Mon-Fri) 8am-4pm (weekends)
address : 56 Campbell Parade, Bondi Beach
website / Map 

Trio on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment