Pages

Thursday 19 June 2014

Red Cross donor centre, Town Hall

Disclaimer : this blog was 100% written on my iPhone.  Half of it was with just my thumb whilst on the donor chair. No proof reading has been made so it apologize in advanced if there are multiple grammar/spelling mistakes.... 

 It's  always nice when a regular joint remembers you by name, knows what you want to drink and eat without even being told. 


Once a fortnight, I visit the blood centre in townhall to donate plasma. George, the guy who mans the front desk greets me with a big smile and ask how my day was. We exchange stories of recent restaurants we've been to whilst I fill out the 3 page compulsory form. 


As George had to serve other donors, I plonk myself on the sofa. The lobby is spacious with ample seats and refreshments. Today I noticed that they got new tidbits! 

I munch on a few of these as I watch the World Cup highlights on one of their many tv screens. 
Before I even have the chance to finish my biscuits, I hear someone call out my name. I look up and smiled at one of the regular nurses Jenny. 

10 minutes later after the pre-interview, I'm in a nice comfy chair with my legs up. Lynne(the kitchen hand) hands me my usual chocolate milkshake. It always amazes me how she can remember what I want when there are so many other donors. I wish my memory was like hers. 


So the whole process of donating plasma takes roughly 45 minutes. Today I decided to write this blog instead of surfing the net. It's not easy doing this with just 1 hand!!! I'm going to get RSI shortly. Jenny noticed that as the chair was kinda inclined, I was somewhat straining my neck trying to type. That sweet nurse propped a pillow behind my head to ease the ache. What service!


45 minutes pass and I find myself in the kitchen area. Lynne asked if I wanted to have my glass of water and Snack Pack to go. She knows that I always leave immediately to go have dinner with WN. I said no. I think I'll stay for another milkshake. She made me a chocolate caramel one that tasted like Mars bars. Yummy! I think I have a new favourite. 


I sat around for abit chatting with George  and telling him about how tomorrow, I'm going to visit Sparrows Mill for some fried chicken. He said he's gonna visit it some time too. 

My 2 cents about this place? The people at the Townhall blood centre are all genuinely nice people. I feel like I am friends with them now instead of just being another donor. 

Food wise, they also have a few types of toasts and juices to choose from. The bikkies are  packed individually to ensure freshness and Lynne makes a mean milkshake!

So why not make an appointment on 13 95 96 and help save someone's life! 
All of us knows at least 1 person who will need blood at one stage or another. 

 A little prick on the arm is nothing compared to what the person who needs your blood has gone through. 
So to end of a happy note, here's a photo that never fails to make me smile. 
:)


No comments:

Post a Comment