Pages

Wednesday 30 July 2014

The pig & pastry, Petersham

I've always had a bit of a chuckle whenever I drive by this cafe. 6months has gone by and I've finally decided to give it ago and it looks like I've picked the right day. It was their one year anniversary :) Right outside the cafe, they set up a table with mulled wine served and a spit roast going on for those who just wanted to take something away and sit in the park whilst soaking up the sun. Across the road, there was a little kiddie petting zoo going on much to the enjoyment of kids and parents alike.

At 9am in the morning, it was dead easy for us to get a table and the first thing I noticed was that every staff member had a pig painted on their faces. I should have taken a photo.
 Today, the missus and I both ordered skim flat whites. It was nothing much to shout about but decent enough to not complain.
First dish up was the eggs bennie with salmon. This was served on top of soft fluffy toasted brioche and the missus gives her thumbs up here.
Eggs benedict on toasted brioche with salmon $15.50
 Whilst I was busy taking photos of the above, my Sweet corn fritters turned up. Now there's only 2 ways that I like eating my bacon. Either super crispy and not dripping in oil, or rindless and tender. It was the former today. I guess you could say it was a given seeing how the dish DID state 'crispy bacon'.  I poked my fork through it and it broke into little pieces. AWESOMEEEE!!! This would go well with the other soft textured items on the plate.
Sweet corn fritters with a poached egg, crispy bacon & avocado salsa
The Corn fritter was delicious with a slight crunch on the outside but soft and sweet inside. Avocado anything is good and lastly the egg. Where do I start! It was worthy enough to make a collage which I stuck up on instagram. I also made a little animated gif but thought that was going a little overboard so decided against uploading it. Anyhow, check out the below!
oozing out like lava



Bottomline was that I thoroughly enjoyed spreading abit of avocado salsa on a slice of corn fritter, mopping abit of eggy goodness  on it and adding a few crunchy bits of bacon  for abit of texture. mmm mmmmm....
We didn't stop there! Checking out the display unit, we just HAD to get something so between us we shared the following
baked green apples a thin crust pizza base? Sorry, no idea. :P
salted chocolate chip cookie
 The baked green apple pizza (i'm just gonna call it that) was pretty good. It wasn't overly sweet and had just the right amount of tartness to it.
If you've ever had a chocolate chip cookie from West Juliett, then you'd know what this one tastes like. It was quite large so we broke it down to smaller pieces. What I loved most about it is that the chocolate chips were still soft and semi-melted. The cookie made for a sweet and satisfying way to end our brunch. 
Across the road, we saw animals of all sorts. lambs, babygoats, guinea pigs, ducks, chicks, rabbits and even the cutest little piglet I've ever seen!
it was so cuuuuuuuuuuuteeeeee!!!!!!!!!
Squeeling away, the keeper had to pick it up and apply sunscreen to him(her?). I want a pet miniature pig now!

I never knew how docile rabbits could be when they're in a little bag. All the keeper needed to do was to put these large rabbits into small sacks and just passed them to the kids to hang on to.

As opposed to some places in the inner west, PnP is able to cater for larger crowds and I can foresee myself organizing something here with my other friends in the near future.


The Pig and Pastry
Address : 1 Station Street, Petersham
opening hours : Mon to Fri 7:30am - 4:00pm (closed Tues)
                           : Sat to Sun 8:00am - 4:00pm


The Pig & Pastry on Urbanspoon

2 comments: